Wednesday, February 21, 2018


Board Meeting Minutes
Big Horn Federal Lovell
May 8, 2012 6:30pm
Call to order and Welcome – Bob C
Approval of April minutes Motion by Jerry Second by Lynn


BICA Items:
The web cam project at Horseshoe Bend is on schedule as TCT West checks out the new fiber optic system.

We will again sponsor the Horseshoe Bend area, youth group cleanup May 9 at 6pm.


FOBHL Items:
The snow pack is way below average for all three drainage’s.

The present %SWE (snow pack) is WR 41%, BH 71%, and Shoshone 80%.

The YT, Boysen and Buffalo Bill Reservoir May 2012 water management plans are out.

The revised Bighorn River System draft operations plan is out and on the web for committee comment. We need to be reviewing it in order to make recommendations later.

Jerry L – Presented the May financial report and reviewed membership renewals.
We encourage all who have not yet renewed to do so!!!

The plans for the 2012 Bighorn Lake Celebration and Triathlon on July 7 continue!
Ben Zeller will put free boat ride passes in the packets for all the triathlon event families. This will encourage all who attend to take a free boat ride on Bighorn Lake!! The celebration list of assignments was gone over and discussed. We all need to begin to finalize our assignments and report if we need help or have concerns. The refrigerator magnet celebration reminders were passed out for distribution to the area businesses.

Putting our own 8 x 24 ft or 8 x 32 ft billboard in the Lovell area is being checked out by John, Joe and Ferrell. They have a meeting with WYODOT and BICA next week to discuss billboard regulations along state highways. Other locations are also being considered in the valley.
Lynn talked to Craig at PVCC about the Bighorn Basin Heritage Alliance web site. Bob finished 2012 Mustang Guide color ad. John will check on advertizing opportunities in the Sheridan area.

John reported that the ABC TV film crew will be in Lovell soon to film the Wild Mustangs. He wants to get them to film the Canyon as well if they have time.

Mel McArthur, the acting south end maintenance foreman and Bob C looked at the possible boat ramp site off Rd 20. They will survey the railroad dike for us.

The WGF will again offer AIS training this spring in Cody on May 22 and 23. Lynn will attend again on the 23 to renew his certification. We appreciate him staying up to date on this important issue.

The Bighorn River System Issues Group
The sediment subcommittee gave a short report on the south lake sediment control project. The goal for the sediment control project is to increase the life of YT Reservoir to the benefit of all who use the water resources there in. They did an on site tour later in the afternoon to discuss the next steps in the project. Other issues reviewed in the afternoon were; the Crow Settlement Act, stream bank erosion from high water, two new USGS stream flow gauges below YT Dam. The next regular meeting of this group will be in October. Lenny Duberstein will be on special assignment to the DC office for the next 6 months and others in the MT-Area and Regional USBR offices have agreed to keep all of his projects moving ahead.

The BHR Issue Group conference call was today May 8 at 1:30pm. Due to low snow pack and a very dry prediction for spring rains the outflow from YT will be reduced from 2500cfs to 2000cfs today. This will allow for the reservoir to begin filling early in hopes of gaining more storage that can be used the rest of the year. Today the elevation is 3615 ft and under the modified plan we should be at 3618 ft by the end of May. All three reservoirs will not likely fill this summer due to the lower than normal snow pack with very warm early temps in the mountains and no spring rains. YT should reach 3630 to 3635 ft by July 1.

FOBHL is still in need of new board members, anyone desiring to serve contact one of the directors.

Our next FOBHL Board Meeting on June12 will be held in Powell at 6:30pm.
Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use
© 2007-2017, Friends of Bighorn Lake